On this page you will find links to the various application forms which may be downloaded and filled out to send to the District. Please note, due to requirements of state law the applicant’s signature for most of these forms must be notarized before sending the original to the District office. Also, for the convenience of our citizens, all District employees are Notary Publics and can assist you with this need, as well as completing applications. Please call (512) 455-9900 with any questions.
Exempt wells, according to Texas Water Code, Chapter 36.117 (State Law), must be incapable of producing 25,000 gallons per day (which means it can produce no more than 17.36 gallons per minute). Additionally, the water must be used for domestic use or watering of livestock.
Exempt wells are not required to have a permit, but must submit an application and register their well with the District.
Non-exempt wells are wells capable of producing more than 25,000 gallons per day (more than 17.36 gallons per minute). Non-exempt wells are subject to permitting and must comply with the District’s production fee schedule.
Well Registration & Permit Applications
- Application to Record an Exempt Well – Use this application to record your existing exempt well with the District.
- Application to Drill and Operate an Exempt Well – Use this application to apply to drill a new exempt well.
- Application to Drill and Operate a Non-Exempt Well – Use this application to apply to drill a well which is not exempt from permitting because either the amount of water to be produced exceeds 17.36 gallons per minute, or the use of the water is different than the exempted uses of domestic use or watering of livestock.
- Drillers Application to Complete a Well – Anyone who drills a water well, installs a pump, or completes a water well in the District should use this application to notify the District that a well has been completed. Other required documents, such as a well log report which is required to be filed with the Texas Department of License and Regulations, are also required to be filed with the District.
- Application for a Permit to Transport Water from the District – Use this application to apply to obtain a transport permit to transport water outside the boundaries of the District. A transport permit is required to transport any groundwater which has been produced in the District to any locations outside the District.
Oil & Gas Applications
- Application to Drill and Operate an Exempt Well for Oil & Gas Use – Use this application to apply to drill and operate an exempt well for oil and gas production according to the exemptions given in Texas Water Code, Chapter 36.117. This includes only groundwater used by a drilling rig engaged in original exploration for oil and gas, and does not include water used for fracturing formations (frac water).
- Application to Drill and Operate a Non-Exempt Well for Oil & Gas Frac Use – Use this application to apply to drill and operate a water well for oil and gas production which is not exempt from the requirements to obtain a production permit from the District according to the exemptions given in Texas Water Code, Chapter 36.117. This includes all groundwater used for fracturing formations (frac water).
- Application for Emergency Permit to Drill a Well – Use this application to apply to drill a well which is not exempt from permitting and which will require a hearing, but must be put into production prior to a hearing being scheduled due to extenuating circumstances. Extenuating circumstances may include, but are not limited to, emergencies or public health.
- Application to Drill and Operate a Limited Production Well – Use this application to apply to drill and operate a water well which may only produce a smaller amount of water, but is not used for exempt purposes according to Texas Water Code, Chapter 36.117. Please see the definition of a Limited Production Well in the District Rules and the restrictions listed under District Rule 5.2.
- Application to Transfer Ownership – Use this application to transfer ownership of a well, including the registration or permit associated with that well.
Grant Applications (When Available)
- Grant Program Application for Reimbursement to a Fire Department – According to the District’s Grant Program, the District may reimburse qualified expenses from fire departments within the District which use groundwater. Use this application to apply for reimbursement to a Fire Department for Qualifying Purchase under Section 15.4 of the District’s Management Plan.
- Application for District’s Assistance in Plugging a Well – Use this application to apply for District financial assistance in plugging an abandoned well. Please see the definitions of an abandoned well in the District’s Rules.